Strawberry Fields Forever - Nothing is real

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

More meaningless reviews and thoughts

I'm still too angry about the entire political situation (and this is even WITH turning off cable news and basically banning talk-radio) in the U.S., especially right now, so it may be a while before I subject my 0 readers to another political screed. (though I'm predictably unpredictable on that front)

In the meantime, some other music(ish) reviews that I either forgot about last time, or hadn't yet watched.

Oasis - Don't Believe The Truth
I don't know why I didn't include this in the last post. I suppose it slipped my mind, though I'm not sure why. This is an honestly good album! Their best since (What's The Story), Morning Glory. It's not anywhere near as cool as that album nor definitely Maybe, but it's still quite good. The opening few cuts in particular are killer. Not that their albums between (What's The Story) and Don't Believe The Truth are particularly bad, but they just aren't as good. Anyway, it's wonderful to see Oasis closer to living up to their potential. Yeah, many may argue they are a fairly unoriginal band (though I would argue no more than any other rock band), but they honestly had some really great songs, and they have the Rock 'N Roll attitude down pat. That counts for something, especially when they can back up the ego with some great songs. If you've lost faith in Oasis, you might want to give this album a listen. (though again, don't expect something as good as their first two albums) Grade: B

Many - The Concert For George (DVD)
Why am I reviewing this now?? I'm reviewing this now because I only saw it for the first time last night. (!?!) In my two year absence from all things Beatles, I purchased this DVD, but couldn't watch it. Now, I can. Everyone who has watched this raves about it, and with good reason. This is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful person, who graced the world with incredible music, his very british sense of humor, and an amazing humility and kindness that few who reach his level can maintain. The concert is as good as everyone says it is. There are some moments when you see Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Dhani Harrison (who DOES look amazingly like his father!), Eric Clapton, and Tom Petty in the same shot. The sound they make is like the sound of the greatest super-group ever... or maybe the second greatest. (George was already a member of the greatest) The concert never gets maudlin or depressing; it honestly celebrates George Harrison in a really special way. This is a fitting tribute for such a wonderful person. If you even somewhat like the Beatles and haven't seen this, SEE IT NOW. (no, I don't make a penny off of this, or anything except for my current job, so there's no profit motive here) Grade: A


I'll probably cover movies seen in the last several months in a little bit, as well as other random meaningless ramblings. Again, if you haven't seen it, see Concert For George!

Edit: Oops, forgot to "grade" the items...

2 Comments:

  • whoa! when did you start posting again? i should catch up on my entertainment reviews here. ") it's good to see you posting again. hope you're doing okay.
    ---bleusky

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:55 AM  

  • I started again quite recently after a many month hiatus. About 11 days ago if I can trust blogger's logs. (and/or my memory... actually on 2nd thought, I'd rather trust blogger's logs)

    Doing ok, hope you are too, Ms. Bleusky.

    By Blogger Jim Casaburi, at 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home