Strawberry Fields Forever - Nothing is real

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

When satire is entirely unnecessary

I was planning on writing another lame attempt at satire about the Republican convention, but officially, that is entirely unnecessary.

When I watched John Kerry's acceptance speech a month ago I had a few moments of giddiness as I watched him deliver on my hopes, as I saw him rise to the occasion.

Tonight I'm getting a bit of the same giddiness.

Thank you Zell Miller. Tonight you helped John Kerry as much if not more than you ever helped Bill Clinton, even if unintentionally.

I could watch the footage of you becoming entirely unglued with Chris Matthews for hours on end. You challenged Chris Matthews to a duel!?!? If that's not a metaphor for the modern face of the Republican party... actually forget metaphors, it's funny on any and all levels. (and don't bother pointing out that he's technically a Democrat, he's long since left any semblence of being a Democrat... unless his speech has been a carefully orchestrated attempt to take down George W Bush from within... which isn't entirely impossible)

I haven't yet heard Cheney's speech, but I understand he once again brought up Kerry's line about fighting a "sensitive" war and ripped on Kerry for it... neglecting to point out that the President has used the exact same language in the same context... neglecting to point out that Cheney himself has used the same language in the same context (in at least one instance in the same interview when he chewed out Kerry for saying the same!)

BTW: Wasn't it supposed to be the liberals who were the angry ones? (I know I am, but I must say that I can't compete against Miller & Cheney!)

Between tonight, and Arnold once again describing the fictional debate between Nixon and McGovern as the catalyst for his allegiance as a Republican, I think things are starting to look good. (He also compared anyone who will point out that the economy is not doing that great to "girlie men"... nice message to the 1+ million who have lost their jobs under Bush's economy)

Bush could still hit a homerun tomorrow (though at this point even a bunt would look good compared to those who preceded him), and the debates (if they happen) are still to come, and Bush and his phantom campaigns have much more smear left in them, but right now I'm feeling pretty good. Bush is still the front-runner, but Kerry can win. He's going to have to campaign hard, and his supporters are going to have to work hard (including myself).

On a related note, I finally took down the 2 Gore-Lieberman stickers I've had taped up to the back of my car and replaced them with a John Kerry sticker.

Anyways, if this is the worst these guys have, then to quote the President (in a more appropriate context) "Bring 'em on!"

(note: to be fair, Zell Miller only said he "wished " he lived in a time when he could challenge Chris Matthews to a duel)

(further note: I removed a reference to the Bush daughters' speech. Upon reflection, I really don't want to be a person who would make disparaging comments about two young women who are obviously political neophytes, and did not ask to be the daughters of a President)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home