Strawberry Fields Forever - Nothing is real

Monday, August 30, 2004

Live from lecture, it's a boring blog live!

(note to kids: don't do this from home.. or your own classes)

Day #1 of my first semester of school as a full-time student in over 2 years is mostly complete. My attempts to crash courses appears to be more successful than usual (of course that's having gone through 2 of the 3 classes I'm trying to crash)
So far so good for the most point.

My CECS 328 class (algorithms, data structures) looks like I won't have a problem getting in it, and frankly does not look too tough. (of course, looks are always deceiving) A quick glance at the syllabus shows me that about 60% of the topics are ones I foisted upon my advanced students last year. The ones I usually rushed through too quickly for their own good, but definitely ones I covered. The first assignment looks like a joke, with the exception of having to use the C++ Standard Template Library, which looks really wretched. Every time I think that C++ can't get any worse, it gets orders of magnitude worse. If I keep having to deal with this, I may pick up Cobol to try to give myself a more straightforward language to deal with.

CECS 455 (game programming) looks like it's going to be intense, and if I survive, awesome. The teacher is a former grad student from Berkeley (there at the same time I was an undergrad), and seems like a good if intense prof. If I hadn't forced myself to relearn calc so recently, I'd probably be running away from it.

CECS 572 (advanced networking) looks pretty good, and I might even get into it. Though, I have to make sure I learn to read my schedule better. I saw 5pm, and didn't notice that 5pm was for the lab, not the lecture. I ended up 30 minutes late, but everything seems ok. I may even try to make the class project for it an implementation of a wild networking protocol idea I had over the summer. (It's very scary actually bothering to implement some of my wild ideas.. what kind of monster am I becoming... as opposed to the monster I've been?)

CECS 323 (databases) hasn't started quite yet (ok, I lied, I'm not in lecture yet). The class has always looked easy, and the professor is a good guy that I've had for a class before. I plan on showing up here in case I cannot get into CECS 572. Though I don't recommend blogging from classes, I do recommend trying to attend an extra class for the first 2 weeks (or less) of a semester to ensure a good schedule.

CECS 524 (advanced languages) won't start for another 90 minutes I think. Report on that one later.

Now to try to flesh out exactly what I want my master's project to be.... I still have my existing ideas, but I'm less sure of them than I used to be. Though if I continue on my current trend of actually bothering to do something about my ideas, I may just end up with an implementation in a week or so. (the horror, the horror, the horror)

Wow, can't have another post without political content... Go Kerry! There, I feel better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home