Strawberry Fields Forever - Nothing is real

Saturday, July 31, 2004

To quote the Gipper, "not bad, not bad at all"

I actually had the chance to catch Kerry's acceptance speech on CSPAN after my final. I don't believe the speech will stand along side the greatest of all political speeches of all time, but it was quite good. I already liked Kerry before the convention. True, during most of the primary season I had joined the Dean movement. (I also still really like Dean) However, prior to Dean being a so-called viable candidate I had gravitated most to Kerry. His politics are mostly a good match for mine, and he seemed like a decent enough guy. His performance lately has far exceeded my expectations for one with similar politics to mine who happens to be a decent enough guy.

I'm not going to go through this speech line by line. As Jon Stewart so brilliantly put it at the end of the Daily Show on Friday. You should watch Kerry's speech, and Bush's speech and then turn off the TV. Form your own opinions. That said, I must voice my opinion that moments like that remind me exactly why I hold Jon Stewart and his show in such high regard. Anyways, for anyone who missed the speech of any others, just go to dems2004.org and watch the speeches.

On other fronts, my final is over, as is potentially my career in Math. In the end, I remembered enough Calculus to get by, but I didn't know the material for the actual class all that well. In the end, I'll probably earn a C, which I suppose is good enough, but I need to do a lot better if I want to seriously have a shot at a Doctorate in Computer Science. Still, I have time to recover from this. Lots of little projects to work on now, and jury duty next week (my first experience with it).

I also really want to find a way to be involved this cycle. I'm even tempted to violate my promise to myself and take a semester off of school to work for Kerry or the DNC or something. I really want my nation back and I HATE standing on the side lines. If anyone knows of any potential tech or data analysis or mapping or web jobs along these lines please hit me up. Of course, given I'm basically the only reader here, this call is pretty much in vain.

Anyways, onward to November. Go Kerry, go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home