Strawberry Fields Forever - Nothing is real

Friday, August 06, 2004

Neck question...

Given the readership is near zero, this is probably a waste of my time, however, given that my time is worthless, that point is a bit irrelevant.
For 2-3 years, I have had a tremendously stiff neck. It started when I started having back issues (hypertense muscles on my back making sleep very uncomfortable). Eventually this got to my neck. I take anti-inflammatories every day (I used to take vioxx, but I've brought myself down to approximately 2 Alleve a day) mostly to help the back muscles from hurting too much when I wake up and to avoid the sensation of being kicked strongly in the back when I sneeze. However, once I get moving in the morning I'm fine all day. My neck however, does not seem to improve. I have the ability to move it maybe 30 degrees to the left and maybe half that to the right. It's just barely enough to be able to check my blind spot while driving. My up and down movement is even worse (I can touch my chin to my chest, but I cannot move my head above normal orientation) This hasn't improved nor worsened in the last 2-3 years. As far as I know I was not involved in any accidents or trauma that would have lead to this, and I'm fairly sure it's also muscular in nature. I have tried all of the stretching exercises (still am trying on that front), and everything else I can think of, but no progress, and it's really getting annoying. I have made every move to try to improve the ergonomics of my computer usage. My screen is at eye level and I usually am now able to rest my head against the back of the chair as I use the computer without having the stretch my neck out towards the screen as I work. I have also noticed that if I press into the base of my skull with a pressure that may not be safe for over a minute I will sometimes gain a small (1 minute or so) period of having partially regained horizontal motion in my neck.
Earlier I had bigger medical priorities than worrying about my neck, but by now I'm really fed up. Even my back has improved to a good degree: I can sleep most of the night on my back before it feels so stiff that I must turn onto my side. My flexibility in every other manner is actually excellent, I only have trouble with the stupid neck and I want to be able to turn the head! In theory I should find out soon (I have another doctor's appointment next week I think and I can get the results of some scans done a few months ago on my neck/back), but I'm really growing impatient here. Any thoughts or insights? (from my 0 readers)

2 Comments:

  • mu hahaha, :) suffer haha jk -the anonymous person

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:13 PM  

  • To quote the Simpsons episode "A Streetcar Named Marge":
    "You can always depend on the kindness of strangers...
    To pluck up your spirits, and shield you from dangers...
    Now here's a tip from Blanche you won't regret...
    A stranger's just a friend you haven't met...
    You haven't met..."

    By Blogger Jim Casaburi, at 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home